[PD] Combat aliasing!

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Mar 31 18:50:38 CEST 2010

Correct, nothing played back at original sampling rate will alias. If
you speed that sample up, then some of the recorded harmonics will go
over the Nyquist number and alias.

Please read the page I sent you on aliasing:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/Antialiasing

and also

http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/WhatIsDigitalAudio

Aliasing happens when you try to synthesize or play back a frequency
higher than 1/2 the sampling rate (this is called the Nyquist number).
In non-sine wave oscillators, it often comes from the highest harmonics.
In samples, it comes from playing them back faster than the original
sampling rate. It happens at the moment those frequencies are
synthesized, and cannot be removed later. Thus the oversampling approach
documented in the FLOSS Manual (and taken directly from Miller's Pd
manual patches).

A Karplus-Strong resonator is a delay line and as I understand it, so
long as no pitch shifting is going on then it can't alias. You would not
be able to create a Karplus-Strong resonator at 30KHz unless you have a
sampling rate of 60KHz, because the shortest delay time you can get is
still one sample (1/44100 of one second at normal sampling rate). Again,
math gurus are welcome to correct my calculations.

D.

--
::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::
---Oblique Strategy # 151: