[PD] Combat aliasing!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Apr 1 20:49:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

>> and I forgot to say, if you use [vd~] to circumvent [delread~]'s delay
>> limitation, you will also find that [vd~] is a lot slower (taking
>> more cpu), and that's normal, because [vd~] does antialiasing,
>> whereas [delread~] does not.
>
> I don't know who Karplus-Strong is, but from your dissertation I get the
> impression that what you call antialising here is what I would call
> interpolation.... ¿?

Yes, that's a lot of the same thing. E.g. when scaling a picture, it is
usually antialiased, and that is performed by some kind of interpolation,
such as linear or cubic. But when rendering a polygon, the antialiasing of
the lines doesn't have to do with interpolation of existing pixel data,
because it's rendered directly from vertex data... but, in some way,
polygon rendering is all about linear interpolation of vertex data, as
each edge is made of points on a line between other points. This doesn't
mean that the polygon will be «antialiased» in any way.

Just to say that there are many things called interpolation and many
things called antialiasing and that there's a lot of overlap of those
things but they don't exactly coïncide.