[PD] dynamic gui masking problem

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 2 17:02:44 CEST 2010

Hi again

With the help of IOhannes and matju I was finally able to find a
solution for this problem.

There *is* actually a way of dynamically remove single objects without
causing errors (thanks IOhannes):

By using [canvasdelete] from the iemguts. It allows to delete certain
objects of a certain canvas by their index number (for instance, 'delete
12'). The canvas needs a [canvasdelete] in order to add the 'delete'
method to the canvas and a [sendcanvas] to which the 'delete <id>'
message is sent.

Then I ran into another problem:
I was creating [cnv] objects in a GOP and moving them out of the GOP
area, which is a way to display something in the parent patch outside
the GOP area. However, when deleting such gui objects, they remain
visible in the parent (as if the parent wouldn't be refreshed).
Switching workspaces forth and back or minimizing/maximizing the parent
patch made them disappear. Running pd with -d 2 (matju's suggestion)
revealed, that canvasses are receiving a 'map 0; map 1;' sequence in
order to refresh them on maximizing or switching workspaces. Sending
those messages to the parent patch after dynamically deleting gui
objects in the outside-gop-area made them finally also disappear in the
parent patch.

Attached is an updated example, that exploits those features.

Roman