[PD] strange colors with pix_record

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 22:41:51 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Matthias Neuenhofer <matthias at neuenhofer.de
> wrote:

> Am 03.04.2010 um 18:13 schrieb Max:
>
> > Am 03.04.2010 um 14:32 schrieb chris clepper:
> >
> >> Setting the quality for Photo-JPEG to 100% changes it from YUV to
> lossless ARGB compression.  You can keep the alpha and avoid colorspace
> conversion.  Use the 'dialog' message to do this.
>
> but Photo-JPEG has no alpha channel - don't get it.

At 100% 'quality' it does have an alpha.  Supposedly it is part of the JPEG
spec, but I haven't seen anyone other than Apple use it.  It is kind of like
having a TIFF with run-length JPEG compression.

> also on my machine mac osx 10.6.2 GEM: ver: 0.92.2 compiled: Dec 17 2009
> Gem stop rendering confirm the dialog to pix_record
> after start rendering again 2 sec later it stop again
> then start again it´s ok and use the changes of the dialog

The dialog always stopped rendering because the event loop waits for the
dialog to close.  You will notice that GEM creates a 'pd' app in the Dock in
order to do things like window management.  Command line apps in OSX cannot
just open windows without being a GUI app.  It is a hack.

Apple broke the event handling code used in GEM in 10.5.  There is no fix
other than 'write a full Cocoa app'.