[PD] pd~ and DIO errors

tim vets timvets at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:21:25 CEST 2010

2010/4/4 Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>

> On Apr 3, 2010, at 2:39 AM, tim vets wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I have a rather heavy patch which causes DIO errors when I switch~ on
> several subpatches.
> I'm running pd + Jack on a rt kernel (ubuntu-studio Hardy),... Jack shows
> little or no Xruns.
> Now I wanted to try and optimize the patch by using [pd~].
> The way I understood it is that [pd~] will start a subprocess and it will
> (automatically ?) divide the audio computation load over multiple
> processors.
> However, I get the impression that by using [pd~] I get the same (or even
> worse) results as with my regular "abstraction / [switch~]" approach; DIO
> error crackles.
> Any advice very welcome!
>

> Have you had clicks before?  In my experience running Linux, I have had
> much fewer dio errors (basically none) running pd -rt on a *non* realtime
> kernel.  I use the basic Ubuntu kernel with realtime privileges enabled, no
> running pd as root.  I also do not use jack but alsa directly, which seems
> more stable.
>
> Hi Dan,

I've been trying lots of things, mostly using ubuntu.
I didn't use jack before, but at some point it seemed I could get lower
latency with it, so I started using it a few months ago.
I'm rebuilding my setup around a heavy and bulky desktop now, because my
laptop is too old, and I could not get really playable latency.
It is a quad-core machine, but I heard that when you run pd on it, it will
only use one processor.
I was hoping that I would be able to 'spread out' my patch over several
processors using pd~, but so far I haven't had any luck...
In any case, using the realtime kernel now, I'm pretty sure I get less
clicks at lower latency settings. But I havent really compared recently...
Is it even possible to run pd -rt on a non-realtime kernel ?
At the same time, I discovered some inefficiencies in my patch, which I
should adapt.
One of those is in a subpatch where I use 6 bonk~ objects, and another
subpatch that uses 6 sigmund~'s. (to track my guitar strings).
Are there more efficient ways to do this kind of tracking ?
gr,
Tim

 --------