[PD] pd and multi-core processors

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon Apr 5 15:46:51 CEST 2010

>> it is the job of the scheduler of the operating system to assign the
>> processes to different cores. both parent and child process should
>> probably be pinned to different physical cores. not sure, whether miller
>> took that into account, though ...
>>

> What I have tried in the past is run one pd for audio and another one for
> GEM stuff, which worked rather well.
> I wonder if it would make sense to do the same with 2 pd instances doing
> audio, and exchange audio between them.
> Maybe I could try that with Jack.

it depends on the scheduling algorithm implemented in jack2 ... depending on
the structure of the jack graph, jack2 may try to execute both processes on
the sequentially ...

> But I think the latency will be doubled, because the buffers of both pd's
> would add up...?

from my understanding, pd~ uses a pipelining approach, so you will loose one
sample block when crossing pd~ boundaries ...

tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

Only very good and very bad programmers use goto in C