[PD] pd and multi-core processors

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 20:43:39 CEST 2010

(this is a little OT respect to the thread)

 > nicely enough, pd's graphical interface and the actual process,
 > are separate threads,

The communication between the engine of Pd ("Pd") and the graphical
interface ("GUI") is not as efficient as you may expect it to be - at
least not as much as I expected it to be.

When you send a message to a GUI object, such as for example a "set"
message to the receive-symbol of a slider, the Pd process sends a
message to the GUI process and the GUI process actually redraws what it
has to redraw: so the Pd process is not "blocked" while all the
(embarassingly cpu consuming) draw operation is performed. So you would
expect that the time needed to send a message to a GUI object is just
the time needed to send a message through a TCP socket.

Not quite so.
I don't know why, but when you send a message to a GUI object it takes
significantly much more CPU time to the Pd process than simply sending a
message through TCP, though much less than it takes to actually redraw
things. I _guess_ the Pd process probably waits for some kind of
aknowledgement or respose from the GUI process or something like that,
but this is only a guess.

I found this out because I create patches that have to be used "on the
stage" by users that are not "pd-ers", so I make extensive use of GUI.
All significant parameters or values that can be changed and/or need to
be monitored are displayed on the GUI. So I send a lot of messages to
the GUI. I also store "snapshots" of configuration that are then called
(_not_ loaded from disk at the moment of calling them), so there often
are "massive" bursts of messages to a lot of GUI objects in zero logical
time (I already reduced the messages to only the actually needed ones).
So, soon I began to have a lot of audio dropouts.

So I tried out a solution that seemed ridiculous at first: I made an
"engine" patch which does all the audio and midi stuff but has no GUI,
and an "interface" patch that has only the GUI stuff, and exchanges
control data (in both senses of course) with the engine patch. And
obviously I run them on two different instances of Pd.

My "protocol" of communication between the two patches is not even very
optimized, so I send a lot of messages that could actually be avoided
(don't tell anybody).
Well with this system, despite the huge quantity of messages to and from
GUI, I get no dropouts at all, everything works fine.

I have indeed replicated "at the patch level" the engine-GUI
architecture that is already implemented in Pd. When I did it, I really
was afraid that I was doing something stupid; but it did work, and it
makes an enormous difference (well I did do some test before, that
seemed to indicate that it may work).
So the time it takes (meaning the time during which the Pd process is
either blocked or busy) to send a message through a [netsend] (with even
a little overhead: passing through a [s] and a [r], a [list prepend
send] and a [list trim] at the very least) is significantly less than
the time it takes to send a message to a GUI object.

I am curious to know whether this overhead in the communication between
the two processes of Pd is entirely necessary (to robustly guarantee
consistency for example) - and in case it is not, whether it is going to
be addressed in the gui-rewrite......

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com