[PD] INstalling pd-extended from source

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Tue Apr 6 21:08:28 CEST 2010

András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com> [10-04-06 20:40]:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM, <meino.cramer at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > a moment ago I installed pd-extended on my linux-box from source.
> > The compilation process runs till something, which looks like a
> > successfuill end.
> >
> > My question is:
> > Pd-extended seems to consist of a *illion packages.
> > If compilation of one would fail: Does the whole compilation will
> > stop? Or does the steering makefiel will ignore that error and
> > proceed with the next task?
> >
> > Or with other words: If the end of compilation is an end without an
> > error message in the last lines of output: Is the whole package
> > installed successfully or do I have -- may be -- in incomplete
> > installation ?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >

> Hello Meino,
>
> what you want to know is if Make will fail on a failed external or will go
> on with the others - the answer is yes, by default it will stop there, and
> you shall be able to see the error somewhere among the last lines. You can,
> however, tell it ignore failing externals (afaik).
> What HC told is true as well, a successful compile process will not say
> anything like 'SUCCESS' by itself - instead, it might tell you 'Error!
> Nothing to do' which actually stands for 'Success! Open a bottle of
> champagne'
>
> Andras

Hi Andras,

thanks for your reply!
I didn't expect a compiler output like "everything ist fine, have a
nice day!".
I know of makefile systems which simply compile "as much as possible"
and "install as much as possible" where "as much as possible" should
be read as "incomplete" ;)

In my opinion a make process should fail/stop with the first error
it encounters. Good to know that pd seems to be one of this last kind

I noticed that pd is said (according to the docs) expects everyting
under "/usr/local" and installs itsself under "/usr/" (without
modifications done by myself)???

And: If I download the source archive of pd-extended...is this
complete? Or do I have to do a cvs/svn checkout as stated by the docs.

Everything seems to be a little inconsistence it seems (may be only
in my head, may be outside my head, may be both)...

Best regards,
mcc