[PD] pd and multi-core processors

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 17 01:03:30 CEST 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Jaime Oliver wrote:

> What do you mean by "some threading". I am particularly interested in
> the input modules (cameras),

pthread is used in [pix_film], [pix_image], [pix_movie], and also in the
V4L, V4L2 and DV4L modules of [pix_video]. Pthreads may also be used
implicitly by some other classes or modules that I don't know about.

> If there were multithreading happening, would pd's loadmeter know about
> it? that is, let's say two cpu's are being used at 100%, but on separate
> threads, what would pd's loadmeter would show (100% or 200%)?

No idea. This depends on the times() function of POSIX, but I don't know
how it works relatively to pthread. I don't know whether that is defined.