[PD] Invisible wires was Re: PD] Zen Garden re-implementing the wheel in C++?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 16:50:02 CEST 2010

Matteo Sisti Sette escribió:

> So my question is which of these is true:
> A) there is always a one-block latency between a s~ and a corresponding r~
> B) there _can_ be a latency, depending on the execution order Pd choses,
> and you can't know whether there will or won't be.
> C) there _can_ be a latency, but if there is no dsp loop on the graph,
> then you can be sure there won't be any avoidable latency due to
> execution order.

Ok I did some tests and it seems the answer is (A)

With this:

[s~ a]
[r~ a]

[s~ b]
[r~ b]

[s~ c]
[r~ c]

you get a 3-block delay.

It is quite a shock for me to find out this (though it is much better
than B anyway). I always thought that send/receive~ pairs were exactly
equivalent to invisible wires! (and never tried doing loops just as I
avoid them when connecting wires)

I often need to use sends and receives just "for programming reasons",
that is creating complex structures by encapsulating, creating
abstractions, etc, and so obtaining almost-scalable structures, where
you can increase the "number of things" by just copy-pasting a number of
instances of some abstraction but without copying the wiring.

That is, creating loop-free graphs that could be expressed with visible
wires but are more elegantly and scalably written with sends and receives.
Fortunately I never did block-accuracy-demanding applications up to now
(that's why i didn't notice the problem), however it is a pity that an
unnecessary one-block delay is added on every single send-receive pair.

That means that if you need sample-accuracy (to the extent that it is
possible) you simply cannot apply some basic design techniques that are
in my opinion the only way to achieve complexity...

So I think an invisible-wire-like version of send/receive~ would be
needed.....

Attached patch shows the three-block delay with the send-receive chain.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com