[PD] how to type more than one "space" in GEM with [text2d]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 17 19:02:31 CEST 2010

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Ingo Scherzinger wrote:

> I tried to input them with [ALT+CTL+space] but pd doesn't accept that.
> What's a proper method of typing "non-breaking spaces"  inside of pd or
> typing them into a standard textfile so pd can read them?

There are several ways. This is OS-dependent and charset-dependent. I
found Pd 0.41 to be typing in iso-latin-1 in Tk on OSX, but using utf-8 on
Linux, while on OSX, utf-8 chars of Pd files are still correctly read, or
something like that.

(really), but for a full fix, you'd need to apply a fix that has been
published some months ago and that is being left out of Pd. I don't know
why this problem is specific to Linux, and if instead it has to do with
the version of Tk, it could be a cross-platform problem eventually...

Back to Unicode now... If I send a «194 160» list-message to [#to_symbol],
i get an invisible symbol, that you can add to a message-box using a «add2
$1» message-box. But there are other ways. I think I loaded the pd file in
a text editor or hex editor... or that I found the key for it... but the
key is OS-dependent, and then, it's also keyboard-layout dependent.