[PD] how to type more than one "space" in GEM with [text2d] - [textfile] output?

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Sun Apr 18 10:57:32 CEST 2010

Ok, I managed to enter several ascii 160 (nonbereakable) and even ascii 32
(normal spaces) in a row into [text2d] with [prepend_ascii]. So it shouldn't
be a big deal to put a line of text together from ascii. However, the real
problem is that [textfile] or [zexy/msgfile] cannot even output regular
spaces that can be converted to ascii 32.
There is no output at all for the spaces. They are only used internally for
separation purposes.

OTOH I will be getting standard textfiles with regular "spaces" but I can't
even read the spaces to convert them to something pd can handle within pd. I
don't even know if textfiles can even hold "nonbreakable spaces" at all. So
now the original question has changed to:

Is there an object that can read textfiles (or any other file type) that
includes "spaces" and can output these spaces (as something) so I can
convert them to "ascii 32" or "ascii 160"?

Pleeeaase (!) DO NOT  start a general discussion about spaces in pd here.
There is a time and a place for everything but this is neither the time nor
the place. This stuff has already been discussed many times before.

I'd be deeply grateful for any suggestion!
Ingo