[PD] Send and receive execution order was Re: Zen Garden, re-implementing the wheel in C++?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 13:07:21 CEST 2010

Frank Barknecht escribió:
> Hi Matteo,
>
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:06:57PM +0200, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>> If the only way to force execution order is by actually creating a
>> "wired" path with subpatches, then it seems to me it is useless for
>> [s~]s and [r~]s because if you can sort them in a wired way, then
>> you can just replace them by wires, so you didn't need them in the
>> first place.
>
> As I wrote, for "simple" connections it's not useful, but as soon as you
> do "bigger" calculations where order matters, it's a technique you need
> to know. Also s~/r~ are often used where direct connections are
> inconvenient, for example if you want to pass the target name by
> argument or if you would have a large number of connections/outlets or
> so.

Exactly: that's the situation where I most use them.

 > *If* order matters to you (it may not always do) you can still use
> the subpatch approach with dummy inlet~/outlet~ objects.

That's the part I don't understand. I mean I can't figure out the trick.
I can easily imagine (and actually tried) how to patch things to force
the desired order, but then again, I see myself obliged to do the wired
connections that the [s~]/[r~]s were meant to avoid.

May you please make an example of the technique? I would be so grateful.

> And don't forget the other application of s~/r~ where you actually
> *want* to have a delay of one block: feedback algorithms.

Yeah but in that case I would rather use a [delread~]/[delwrite~] pair, ¿no?

> For s~/r~ may be not so useful as for delays and
> tabsend~/tabreceive~,though. In my upcoming paper for the LAC2010 in
> Utrecht, I present a way to do "control-rate" computations with signal
> objects as an optimization technique.

Wow that sounds very interesting. I hope you will publish the paper on
the internet so we can have a look

Thanks again
cheers
m.