[PD] ZenGarden license x Pure Data license

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Apr 19 17:57:43 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Alexandre Porres wrote:

> Wow....
> seems like something REALLY important here, huh!?!

> Hello all. Nice project. I have a question: As ZenGarden is LGPL,
> doesn't it allow someone to do a proprietary and closed software using
> it? If yes, doesn't it conflicts with Pure Data license? thank you very
> much.

GPL and LGPL licenses don't conflict with SIBSD.

SIBSD is the version of the BSD license that Pd uses and that most people
mean when they say « BSD license » nowadays.

It resulted from the idea of Richard Stallman to get everybody on the BSD
license to drop the Advertisement Clause, which was not only conflicting
with the GPL, but also with customised versions of the BSD license...

It's a long story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/compliance/index_html/contact/education/essays/index_html/bsd.html

IanaL.

PS: Apparently, « Standard Improved BSD » is an expression that is only
used in the Pd world. I thought I had originally read that name from the
FSF site, but apparently, I didn't. Apparently, there is no standard name
for that license, but that name is the one that Miller used in
LICENSE.txt.