[PD] how to type more than one "space" in GEM with [text2d] - [textfile] output?

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Tue Apr 20 08:58:36 CEST 2010

Thank you!

[mrpeach/binfile] works perfectly for what I need.

I was already using the "string" message with [text2d]. The problem was only
to "read" the spaces with [textfile] which seems to be impossible. Reading
it with [mrpeach/binfile] and changing it to a "string" message does the
trick.

Ingo

> Betreff: Re: [PD] how to type more than one "space" in GEM with [text2d] -
[textfile]
> output?
>
> On 2010-04-18 16:16, Martin Peach wrote:
> > Ingo Scherzinger wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there an object that can read textfiles (or any other file type)
that
> >> includes "spaces" and can output these spaces (as something) so I can
> >> convert them to "ascii 32" or "ascii 160"?
> >>

> > [mrpeach/binfile] will output raw bytes from any file, so spaces in a
> > text file will show up as 32.
>
> and Gem is (almost[1]) able to directly read these via the "string"
message.
> that's all documented for [text3d], and all [text*] objects basically
> have the same interface.
>
> gmasd
> IOhannes
>

> [1] if you only use ASCII; if you want to use extended characters, you
> have to convert the UTF-8 bytes that you get out from [binfile] into
> Unicode-codepoint numbers. there's an abstraction somewhere in
> iem/unicode/ that does just that.
> i seem to remember that something like this was on the list just
recently...