[PD] A bunch of revised help patches

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 17:35:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

finally I looked a bit at it. I can't say much, but a couple of things:

- this is a massive work, it's not possible to go through the patches and
give a general opinion. Unless I do replace the pd-ext patches with these
ones, and then in a couple of weeks might have something general to say.

- in general I think your patches should make part of Pd. Are you on it,
or should we make a possy and go to the big man with this request?

- it seems that for your work to be worthwile, it should be part of
Pd(-ext). but as a (small) developer, I'm not sure if your strategy is the
best. I saw that you went into everyone's help patches and added the meta
+ import objects (and anything more?). I have nothing against it, but the
developers should then be the ones doing that work. Or, assuming that your
patches make it into main Pd, the next time I update some help patch I'll
erase your work, because "your" version isn't "my" version.
So, it might be easier to either make a small document telling the
developers to add x and y to their patches to conform to the new pddp
logic - and put this somewhere in the wiki for new developers to read -,
or you send them your version of the patches, which they should take and
build on.
Unless you want to constantly check if everyone is using the right
objects/tags/etc.

I'll give some comments to H-C's comments:

> * think that all help patches should have the same width, but the height
> should be adjusted to minimize white space, like with abs-help.pd

I agree. I also like fontsize 10 better than 12. but doesn't anyone
complain?

> * I think we should make the help patches per object, not the mega-helps
> like Miller makes (acoustics, etc.) If you want to make help patches for
> things like mtof~, I'll make the changes in Pd-extended so that it has
> its own help patch

with some objects might make sense, like the arythmetic ones, or the
acoustic conversions.
But I think that mega-patches should be helpful for new people, provided
that the individual information is also somewhere to be found.

Also, more all_about-patches can always be interesting. they act like
programming tutorials, and can be very helpful.

Is there any specific work to be done? As said, I don't know the
collection well enough to say something about it.

João