[PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 21:34:28 CEST 2010

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:28:31 +0300
> From: Jo?o Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] nusmuk_audio WAS: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?
> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
>        delsp=yes
>
>>> So maybe you need and want a shitty clarinet to achieve the objective
>>> you have, maybe you need a quite expensive one. Nevertheless, the point
>>> is what you do with it.
>>
>> The clarinetist of one chamber orchestra I've wrote for had to use a 'C'
>> clarinette that sounded like shit to play all the notes,
>>  instead of her cool but expensive B flat, the result is that I don't
>> liked the sound she had.
>>
>> (If you want to compare I can send you the files)
>
> Richard Barret has a couple of interesting pieces for C clarinet (look for
> a cd with Carl Rossman). these pieces wouldn't sound as good in a B or A
> clarinets, because it would loose the hard edge of the rhythms/melodic
> contours.
>
> so, I say Richard Barret's pieces would sound "like shit" on a B clarinet.
> probably your's sounds "like shit" on a C clarinet. both clarinets can
> sound good -> only the pieces they play can make them sound "shit".
>
> Conclusion: don't blame the clarinets, stop giving them wrong pieces.
> Don't assume that one clarinet is worthless because he's being given the
> right material to play with.

Ha ha, not to mention the proliferation of wonderful period-instrument
ensembles that use 18th- and 19th-century replicas.  Some of those
musicians are really, really good -- the C clarinets sound just fine
in the context of Beethoven and Berlioz.  One would probably not want
to play the Rite of Spring solo on an 18th-century bassoon, though.
In music, and I think I would argue art in general, context is key.

Matt