[PD] length in midifile

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 22 16:33:10 CEST 2010

I'm no expert either, but from what I understood, Patko meant to say,
that a midi-file is organized in a way, that note-on and note-off
messages are separate events, of which each has its own time stamp.
Translated into human-readable instructions, a midifile says 'press key
C# now'. And a few moments later it says 'release key C# now'. Those are
two separate events. There is no event containing the length of the
played note in the midi universe. If you're interested in the length of
a note, you need to measure the time between the note-on and the
note-off message for a certain note.

For playing a synth you usually don't need the length information at
all. You just send it the note-on and note-off messages at appropriate
times. I haven't tried [mrpeach/midifile] myself, but from the help file
I take, that you need to send it 'bang' messages in regular time periods
in order to make it spit out midi messages. In the help file you simply
click the 'play' toggle, which will turn on the metro, which then sends
the 'bang' messages.

Roman