[PD] External to get boxes' informations

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Apr 22 16:52:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2010-04-22 12:16, João Pais wrote:
> there are 2 parts, why i need the disclaimer:
> #1 iemguts use private headers of Pd; a change in these headers
> might/will break iemguts.

Everybody and their dog are using private headers in Pd, and everybody
else and their dog are relying on externals that rely on private headers
in Pd.

> such break can and will happen with other externals as well (e.g. a lot
> of gui objects will just plainly crash when used with a Pd-version they
> have not been compiled against)

which externals ? which versions of pd ?

> #2 iemguts are mainly research driven. the only userbase that counts for
> me, is currently(?) myself. this is unlike other to libraries i provide,
> like zexy or Gem, where there is an acknowledged userbase, which i feel
> a responsibility for

So, in that case, wouldn't you prefer iemguts to be kept out of
pd-extended ?

> there is no guarantee whatsoever from Pd (or rather: from Miller), that
> this will still work with the next release of Pd.

Thus *none* of the GUI externals are guaranteed to work with the next
release of Pd, yet they all have worked since 2002 or before... at least
at the source level. Who believes that the API would change ?

> people still do it. and chances are not so high, that things will
> actually change. but still...

but still what ?