[PD] Problem with [$n 1]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 27 09:52:50 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-27 08:28, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 18:10 -0500, Ben Baker-Smith wrote:
>> [$n 1] often isn't recognized when I first load an abstraction.
>> However, if I create one in a patch it creates properly, first time.
>> So I find myself having to open my abstractions and re-create all my
>> [$n 1] objects each time I load them. This doesn't seem to happen with
>> [dollarg], so I have started changing my [$n 1] to [dollarg].
>>
>> I am still curious as to why this is happening though. Is it a known bug?
>
> If you are on:
>
>> I am running Pd-extended 0.41.4 on a MacBook with OS X 10.5.8.
>                -----------
>
> Then it is probably related to the library format. Every object class is
> compiled into its own file. Therefore you might have to first load the
> external by its original name, before you can use the alias.
> This doesn't explain, why it works in patches anyway, but not in
> abstractions, though.

iirc, it's related to the dollarg expansion mechanism. (think
"foo-$1-bar"), and dollars not being properly quoted when save to patch.

anyhow, we (at iem, where dollarg is at home :-)) changed all occurences
of "$n" to dollarg (you can do so with a little script), when this
problem first appeared about 3[*] years ago.

fmasdr
IOhannes

[*] well, whatever