[PD] gem pipe?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Apr 28 02:07:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Andrew Faraday wrote:

> I've recently tried to pass a gem chain through a [pipe] object (aiming
> to avoid multiple pipes going to translate and colour objects. However
> it seems the pipe object won't accept gemlists. Any ideas if there's an
> object that will do this?

Gem operations have to happen in a definite time frame, because all OpenGL
operations are going through a single pipe to the renderer. However, I'm
pretty sure that we're currently using 3 definitions of the word "pipe" at
once. By "multiple pipes" do you mean multiple connections from outlet to
inlet ?

Even if [pipe] allowed a gemstate to go through it, it doesn't mean it
would do what you want it to do. for GL operations, the meaning of an
operation is completely dependent on its order, and if it's not scheduled
by [gemwin] itself, chances that it'll fall in the cracks between the
frames and die.

This does not apply to [pix...] objects, except the ones that are both pix
and GL ([pix_texture] [pix_snap] [pix_snap2tex]).