[PD] metro default arg

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 29 09:15:58 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-28 22:14, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>> i'm not opposed to raising the "default", but it should only affect
>> the arguments.
>
> If I say [metro 0.5], I'm not using a default value.
> Furthermore, if I send 0.5 to [metro], right inlet, I'm not using a
> default value.
>
> [metro] doesn't respect the principles that you want Patrice to respect.

i don't understand what you want to tell me.
your examples with 0.5 are both true, but i can't see how they are
related to what i understand to be patrice's proposal.

that metro cannot go down below 1 is - imho - a separate issue than the
default time for a [metro] without arguments.

we have briefly touched the issue of "default argument" vs "explicit
arguments" (even if they backup the default) on IRC the other day.
in the case of metro i think: [metro] (without args) should default to a
"safe" value. "1" is not very safe (it triggers messages quite often),
so i'd say "something higher" (20, 100, 1000?) or (as you seem to
suggest) nothing at all.

as for the range of valid values for metro (not the default argument),
i'd vote for going right down to "0".
i would then make a difference between [metro] and [metro 0]

fgmasdr
IOhannes