[PD] bit crusher abstraction

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Thu Apr 29 16:32:33 CEST 2010

David Schaffer wrote:
>        I'd like to know if there's a bit crusher/ lo-fi/ sonic destructor abs.

a bit-reduction effect is quite easy to build:
multiply the signal by a (larger) number,
throw away the fractional part (by using expr~ int($v1), or building
something with wrap~)
and divide the signal by the same number.
the higher the number, the 'smoother' (less crushed) the result.
for 'authentic bit-reduction' you can use powers of 2,
but numbers inbetween are also fine (imho often better sounding).
there is something like that in my 'instrument collection'
(quantizer.pd) http://www.martin-brinkmann.de/mnb_instruments_wip.zip

bis denn!
	martin