[PD] bit crusher abstraction

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 29 16:47:23 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 16:15 +0200, tim vets wrote:
> there's a very simple way do do 'sample rate reduction' (which is i
> think the sound you're looking for)
> [readsf~]
> |                [phasor~ 100]
> |                /
> [samphold~]
> |
> instant lo-fi gratification :)

This is a crude way to reduce sample rate, but not quite so to reduce
bit depth.

I say crude, because if the frequency of the phasor~ is not a dividable
whole number of the sampling rate, it will additionally add some jitter
(which even enhances the lofi effect).

Reduced bit depth (which is what I think 'bit-crushing' means)  can be
achieved by dividing the signal by x, pass it through something like
[int~], multiply it by x again. An [int~] can be implemented by using
[wrap~] and [-~], which are both vanilla.

Roman