[PD] problems using pd with 120 dpi

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Apr 29 17:44:38 CEST 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Matt Barber wrote:

>> I'm using Pd version 0.42.5-extended-20100428 and Ubuntu Lucid
>> 10.04 :-)
>>
>> Am 2010-04-28 20:07, schrieb Thomas Holzmann:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest pd-extended and have display problems when
>>> using
>>> pd on a screen which is set to 120 dpi. Then most of the texts don't
>>> fit into the boxes. When I change the screen to 96 dpi everything
>>> works fine.
>>>
>>> I assume that's a problem with tk scaling!?
>>>
>>> Does someone know a solution for this?
>>>

> On Fedora/CCRMA I use the following stupid wrapper (it's a hack).
>

> #!/bin/bash
> shopt -s -o monitor
> xrdb -merge /usr/local/lib/pd_fonthelper
> /usr/bin/pd $@ &
> sleep 1
> xrdb -merge /etc/X11/Xresources
> fg 1
>

> pd_fonthelper is just:
>
> Xft.dpi: 72
>

> Obviously you would change this to fit whatever dpi was working for
> you before.
>
> I also had to comment out some lines in pd.tk which test for 8.5 and
> change font size accordingly; once I did, all my Pd font problems
> melted away.
>
> Matt

Could you guys try pd-gui-rewrite and see if it still has this
problem?  The Tcl/Tk side has been entirely rewritten from scratch, so
hopefully it'll "just work" now.  Otherwise, we can get the fixes in
that branch.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson