[PD] Ever divorce from Tcl/Tk? (Was Re: puredata_gui_design)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 3 20:05:12 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2 May 2010, András Murányi wrote:

> I was implicitly ironic, based on our shared knowledge of more floating
> ideas than actual projects.

Well, there's no obvious difference between saying it ironically and
saying it non-ironically. The fact is, someone could be saying the same
thing and mean it. So, thanks for explaining the joke.

> I think Pd shall get a proper language-independent API.

What would it be like ? What do you mean by "language-independent" ?

> If you want to know why I don't start this project up myself, no it's
> not shyness or learned helplessness but the mere fact that i'm doing two
> jobs to survive and have no joules left for this. My bad.

But do you have enough "joules" left to explain what you have in mind ?

> Well, i just imagine it is not easy to have one's 'child' undergo such a
> severe operation, so one might not make up a decision or even publicly
> address the question so easily.

Why does that sound like it's about hiding a shameful disease ?

And then why does this imply, that a language-independent API would have
to be replacing the current Tk support ?... Maybe it doesn't, and it could
be a good idea to have a dual system, for the sake of not making
"irreversible changes"... but branching off code, by itself, is already
not nearly as irreversible as what you can do with a scalpel on body
parts...