[PD] pix_record: recording at a fixed framerate

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue May 4 20:17:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to record a rendered image with [pix_record]; it works, but I
have a problem with the framerate.

I have tried both
1) with the "auto 1" mode and
2) with "auto 0" and a [t b a] connected to its inlet, that is, banging
it at every frame

The results are the same.

The problem is that it seems that together with each frame, the
information of the duration of the frame (or a current framerate which
is the same) is recorded.

So, when I play the file in quicktime OR when I import it in the
timeline of an editing program (such as Vegas Pro), the frames are
played at the same rate at which they were generated.

That can be fine for some applications, but I am trying to "render" a
video that cannot be played at full rate in real time.

That is, I am using a framerate of 25fps in GEM, but the frames will
never be rendered and recorded at 25fps because they are too heavy to
process. So I am recording every single frame with [pix_record], but I
would like them to be written without the information about the _real_
framerate at which they were rendered. So that when I play the video
back in any player it will play smoothly.

Is that possible?

Btw I tried using other codecs (it uses Apple Jpeg by default), but
whatever codec I choose except the default one will crash Pd.

If there is no way to change the way [pix_record] writes fps
information, can you suggest me some software that can interprete the
stream of frames as a fixed-fps sequence of frames and rewrite the video
file with a fixed framerate?
(I have an old version of VirtualDub but it cannot read .mov files)

thanks
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette