[PD] Fwd: Ubuntu Realtime setup

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:00:41 CEST 2010

Forgot to send to send this to the list ...

Begin forwarded message:

> On May 7, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know how to have access to HIDs in Pd without having to run as root? I've read that this was considered a security breach and that newer versions of Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. had this "fixed".

Udev rules. I created a wiki page: http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/HowToReadHIDDevicesInLinuxWithoutBeingRoot

Please test the rules as I only have my rules files and no Linux in front of me to test at the moment.

I think the wiki page is underused. I must admit, my initial reaction to the question was to post the same info in brief in this email response. More and more, I realize just responding with answers on this list dosen't help as much as putting the same info on the wiki.

Not everyone knows to search the list for instance ...

>> Anyway, that's nice to have this howto on the wiki. You don't seem to have mentioned the rt-kernel anywhere, though. That'd be nice to have another paragraph about it, as i think one doesn't get the same performances with realtime permissions in a rt vs. non-rt kernel.

Well, it is a wiki ... go ahead and add the info. I don't the rt kernel as, so far, it hasn't been needed. I guess my patches are simple enough and I don't use X11 with pd.

>> Pierre
>>
>> 2010/5/7 Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I added a howto page on the wiki adding realtime permissions for Ubuntu: http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/HowToRunPDWithRealtimePriorityInUbuntu
>>
>> Please check it for me and make any changes.
>>
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> danomatika.com
>> robotcowboy.com