[PD] gui devel idea: "kiosk mode"

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sat May 8 03:09:51 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Well, in Pd you can already send an "editmode" message to a canvas to
> toggle editmode, as well as other messages (obj, clear, etc.).  So instead
> of making a new [gui] object to
> handle this "kiosk mode" stuff, is it possible to make a plugin so that you
> can also
> send messages like "fullscreen 1" to the canvas that you want to make
> fullscreen?
>
> I've only learned a little bit about tcl so I don't know how much is
> possible to do through
> plugins.
> -Jonathan

I am a Tcl newbie too, yet i've attached an initial version of a fullscreen
plugin for pd-devel.
/usr/lib/pd-extended/startup is a nice place to keep it. (NB i had to add it
to the path manually)

Tcl 8.5 fullscreen is still quirky on my Ubuntu Jaunty + Compiz. When
fullscreen, new windows, including those invoked from the menu, appear in
the background. (And I couldn't find a way to hide the menu.) Modal dialogs
appear in the foreground, at least. Another quirk is that when we have a
fullscreen window and we bring another one into the foreground, Gnome menus
appear, then they go away when the focus is back to the fullscreen window.
Any ideas on these problems are highly appreciated.

Andras