[PD] -nosleep flag not doing anything? (Ubuntu 10.4 - Pd-extended 0.42.5)

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Sun May 9 08:51:11 CEST 2010

Yes, exactly!
Oss doesn't seem to accept the -nosleep flag. When using alsa it works.
However, using oss without the -rt and -nosleep flags gives me about the
same or even slightly better performance than using alsa with these flags
active.
Looks like oss has some different internal system priorities compared to
alsa.

Anyway, thank you - it's doing something now!
Ingo

> It's posible the difference is in the choice of audio API (oss vs. alsa)
> or something like that -- "nosleep" prevents Pd from explicitly sleeping
> but sometimes transferring data to DACs blocks the process.
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:36:33PM +0100, Pedro Lopes wrote:
> > Here it works:
> > $ pd -nosleep
> > Gives one of the CPU's 100% load fulltime. No need to run in root for
this.
> > My startup alredy boots pd with -rt flag and I have the limits.conf
tuned as
> > reported on the wiki/documentation.
> >
> > The system is:
> > $ Linux 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 05:01:14 UTC
> 2009
> > i686 GNU/Linux
> > (Ubuntu 9.10 rt)
> > (The CPU is a *AMD* Turion 64 X2 TL-60.)
> >
> > On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ingo Scherzinger <ingo at miamiwave.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I tried running Pd both as a normal user (with realtime rights)
and
> > > root (from the console). In either case case the gnome-system-monitor
said
> > > "sleeping" unless I went over 50% CPU usage for a moment with that
> > > particular pd patch.
> > > I'm using an AMD Athlon II X2 250 dual core with 3.0 GHz.
> > >
> > > Ingo

When
> > > do
> > > "sleeping".