[PD] message ordering with send

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 10 09:14:04 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-10 07:34, Alexandre Porres wrote:
> hi there, quick question,
>
> say I got a [send] object and many pairing [receive]... how do you predict
> the ordering of messages, or can't you do it at all? Meaning, which receive
> will actually receive the data first? The one that was first connected?
>
> My hint is that you have no way to control this

as soon as you use send/receive or connect multiple inlets to a single
outlet, you are deliberately giving up control on order of execution.
even if you think you might have found some logic behind the order of
execution, be aware that this is purely by chance.
don't rely on it.

if you need to make sure of a certain order take explicit measures!
it's easy.

mnasdr
IOhannes

PS: rumours are that there are at least two different receive objects
living out there that have a way to define explicit ordering. don't try
to hunt them down