[PD] [PD-announce] one over zed (a conformal function on the complex plane)

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon May 10 19:34:42 CEST 2010

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> It's easier to see what's going on using the colourbar from
>> hello-world.pd.
>
> But hello-world.pd is unrelated to moving pixels around like
> [#remap_image] does. [#remap_image] is like a giant [tabread] from outer
> space whereas hello-world.pd (or [#hello]) is not.

Of course, I just meant that it's easier to see the transformation that
[#remap_image] is applying with a simple fixed image.

>> The [# + (120 160)] doesn't seem to have any effect, while the [# -
>> (120 160)] changes the position of the image.
>
> the [# +] (that goes into [#remap_image]) changes the position in the
> source image, which leads to a more interesting transformation, in which
> the borders of the tiles (which are circles) change radius.

So I probably need to use an source image that has texture in both
dimensions, as with vertical bars it does nothing obvious.

> the [# -] (that [#remap_image] goes into) only changes the position of
> the image.
>
> basically, it's the same operation, but depending on whether you apply
> it before or after the inversion, it has a different effect on it. It's
> like when you plot (1/z)+c versus 1/(z+c).
>
> In this case (using [# put (30000 0)]), it's (1/(z-c))+c, which is sort
> of a special case because 1/z is sandwiched between a -c step and a +c
> step, which are exact opposites of each other, and thus you can see it
> as the 1/z is happening relative to a point other than (0 0). It's just
> that you choose the position of your simple pôle.
>
> It's like when you do a [# -] [#rotate] [# +] sequence, you are rotating
> the coordinates around a different point than (0 0).
>
> This concept of applying A then B then "undoing" the A, is very useful
> and I often put things between [# *] [# /] pairs, [# <<] [# >>] pairs,
> [# c2p] [# p2c] pairs, with same arguments.

for anything non-commutative, where [a then b] is not the same as [b
then a].

I attached my hacked-up version of your patches.

Martin