[PD] [PD-announce] one over zed (a conformal function on the complex plane)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 10 20:08:52 CEST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Martin Peach wrote:

> So I probably need to use an source image that has texture in both
> dimensions, as with vertical bars it does nothing obvious.

It depends which axis you do the [# -] on...

BTW instead of [pack f f] with [t b a] you can do [#pack] without [t b a]
if what you need in the end is a grid of ints. But if you really need the
"120 160" init, then there is no shortcut for that.

>> This concept of applying A then B then "undoing" the A, is very useful and
>> I often put things between [# *] [# /] pairs, [# <<] [# >>] pairs, [# c2p]
>> [# p2c] pairs, with same arguments.
> for anything non-commutative, where [a then b] is not the same as [b then a].

Yes. I'd like to note that with limited precision, the amount of
commutativity can be quite limited : [a then b] minus [b then a] will
leave a small trail of residue. Thus I use [# *] [# /] that algebraïcally
may look useless, if I forget that I don't work with real numbers or an
extension thereof, but with ints, it clearly makes a big difference
because of the rounding. (float rounding, however, is usually much more
subtle than that, and [# *] [# /] is rarely useful to deal with it.)

> I attached my hacked-up version of your patches.

fun :)

I often do such mashups. It's an easy way to produce more interesting
results using previous interesting results.