[PD] understanding graphics objects on canvas

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 07:30:20 CEST 2010

I sent Miller an idea the other day about making data structures more expressive.
Basically allowing subpatches (including abstractions) to be defined as a field of
a struct.

[struct ex1 float y float i glist foo pd-bar]  <-- glist field "foo" using [pd bar] as a template

So let's say you make a ds array using [struct ex1] above as the template for the elements.  Now when you [setsize] to 40, each element has an associated "foo" field
which is actually a subpatch.  To define a "subpatch template" for foo, you'd just
put [pd bar] in the same subpatch as [struct ex1].

The real power of this would come by being able to access the other ds fields from within
the "foo" subpatch.  So maybe having some objects for getting a scalar's data from "within"
the scalar:

[getmy y i] <-- used within the "foo" subpatch, this will output the values of the fields
when banged.

[setmy y i]  <-- same for setting.  (Since we're already inside the scalar there's
no need for sending pointers.)

[notify]  <-- output "change", "select", etc. messages only when they refer to this scalar

Local variables!  Deleting abstraction instances with [setsize]!  The possibilities are
endless!

I have no idea how to program any of this!

-Jonathan