[PD] book to start with pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed May 12 10:17:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 09:53:29AM +0200, Gonzalo wrote:
> is there a good book to learn audio foundations and pure data? i only
> know about loadbang book...

I consider Miller's "Technique ..." an essential read for any Pd user. But it's
in Miller-style, which can be a bit too dense and abridged for some readers ...
But if you stick to it and re-read it several times, it's very enlightening.

The best spelled-out newbie intro to Pd that I know is contained in the first
chapters of "Designing Sound": http://aspress.co.uk/ds/ IMO it is way better
than "Loadbang". You can get the respective chapters as PDF for printing out on
your own on the book's website. (The book is currently out of print, AFAIK, but
a new release is in the works).

For reading a general intro to working with sound, you can go with the usual
suspects, i.e. Dodge/Jerse "Computer Music" or the two E. Miranda books at
Focal Press. I'd avoid Roads' "The Computer Music Tutorial" at this point: It's
not so much a tutorial as a reference book.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__