[PD] OSCSerial for windows

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu May 13 20:57:10 CEST 2010

> > Hi Ricardo,
> > Well I didn't have chance to try it with [comport], but I suspect you need
> > to make the output of [comport] into lists using the slip packet delimiter
> > 192 and [list append] and [list prepend] as in the [list] examples.
> > It should not crash Pd though, that's bad...
> > Martin
>
> Hi Martin, I used [list preped] and [list append] as you said and now
> it works, thanks.

Yes, but I think it should work with individual input bytes, I noticed that it's not checking the buffer for overflow in that case, so I will fix that today. I was getting crashes by feeding [slipdec] with random bytes.

> However, I am still getting crashes with the stream from comport (if I
> program the microcontroller to send messages every ~200ms, it works
> fine), I read a recent mail about unpackOSC, then I tested using just
> slipdec (still crashes)
>
> Crashes occur if I send messages too fast, just putting a [metro 50]
> to a valid message in slipenc-help.pd or sending microcontroller
> messages every 10 - 50 ms, freezes pd, and eventually make it crash.

Maybe it's a [print] object overloading? Trying to print thousands of numbers usually hangs Pd.

> I don't know what should be the minimun time that slipdec needs to
> process a packet, I use the same settings that I use in Linux with
> serialIO, OpenSoundControl and OSCruote [1], in Linux it works pretty
> well even with shortes times.

It should be able to hold on to a partial message indefinitely, but at the moment if the message list isn't a complete SLIP packet it might not work properly.

Martin