[PD] Does GEM need X-Server to be running

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri May 14 12:07:09 CEST 2010

Hi IOhannes,

> maybe it would be good to know what you want to achieve (or workaround)
> in the first place.

I only need to keep the resources as low as possible since I'm also running
a very heavy audio pd patch in parallel with GEM in a hardware like
environement. So I guess turning off all graphic processes using cpu will be
the best solution. Since the other (audio) patch is running with the
-nosleep flag I suppose the graphics cpu load will go to the other cpu
anyway in the first place.
While keeping GEM at fullscreen I guess the regular system can't be messed
around with because there is no access to the regular desktop.
That's completely ok with me. I simply wanted to figure out how to save the
maximum amount of resources and if it was possible to eliminate X-Server
completely.

Thank you for the information!
Ingo

> >> whether you need an X-server, depends on your platform.
> >> on windows, Gem uses platform dependend code to create windows and to
> >> establish an openGL context.
> >> on X-platforms (linux, bsd, irix,...) it will use X/glx, so you will
> >> need an X-server somewhere to display (not necessarily the machine you
> >> are running Pd on).
> >> on OSX it will use Carbon/AGL.
> >> on w32 it will use windows/wgl.
> >>
> >> i don't know of any program that "directly connects to the graphics
> >> card" and still wants to do more than copying pixels into some legacy
> >> buffer.
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04).
> > I need to display the GEM window with the machine I'm running it on.
> > So that means I basically have to keep the system graphics turned on I
> > guess.
>
> yes.
> butt after all, you want graphics, don't you? so why would you want to
> turn them off?
> get rid of your desktop environment and your window manager if you want
> to keep ressources low.
>
> (maybe this is a misunderstanding? you don't want all the fancy wm and
> de stuff, when you talk about "system graphics" and "Xserver"? Gem
> doesn't need anything fancy, but it does need an Xserver.
>
> the Xserver really only provides an abstracted interface to the gfx card
> (and to devices like mouse/keyboard), so your application doesn't need
> to know that it is talking to an "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)" or whatever card you
> have installed on your system. this is quite nice, as you don't need
> special binaries of Gem depending on your gfx card)
>

> >> Try pdp_xv or if it’s build pdp_sdl
> >
> > Would this allow me to turn the system graphics off and only display the
GEM