[PD] tabletool

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri May 14 18:42:02 CEST 2010

In this particular setup, I see confusion from not knowing what the
result is a response to.  There results are output from the same
outlet and are not labeled in anyway.  So if you mistakenly send a
"sum" when you want to get only "mean", you would only get a strange
value and no sign that its a different calculation.

.hc

On May 14, 2010, at 12:17 PM, William Brent wrote:

> Thanks for looking.  The multiple object library vs. single
> multi-function object question is a good one.  Personally, it just
> seems more tidy to me this way, and I don't believe there's any
> downside to having all the functions packed into one extern.  All the
> memory is allocated per function, so if you only use the sum function,
> (I think) it shouldn't be significantly different than a separate
> extern for summing.
>
> There is definitely something more Pd-ish about the multiple objects
> though.  I'm open to changing it...  For now I'll start using it and
> see if I ever have a desire to make it the other way.
>

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like a super useful library.  My question to you is why did
>> you decide
>> to make it a single object with messages for the actions?  IMHO, it
>> should
>> be a library of objects.  The library would be called 'tabletool',
>> then
>> instead of messages, they functions would be objects.  Having all the
>> answers to the messages come out the signal outlet would make it
>> hard to
>> parse the data.  They could be something like the math objects but
>> for
>> tables.
>>
>> I am thinking something like:
>>
>> [bang(
>> |
>> [tabletool/mean table-1]
>> |

>> [bang(
>> |
>> [tabletool/min table-1]
>> |

>> [10(
>> |
>> [tabletool/equals table-1]
>> |

>> [0.5(
>> |
>> [tabletool/nearest table-1]
>> |

>> .hc
>>

>> On May 13, 2010, at 6:27 PM, William Brent wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I've been meaning to make this extern for a long time, and today was
>>> the day.  It's a table manipulation tool that covers the top items
>>> on
>>> my table wish-list for now.  I'm sure there are plenty more things
>>> add. There is a lot of redundant functionality with list-abs and
>>> some
>>> with zexy (like table dumping). Here's a link where you can download
>>> the extern & source, and a list of functions. It's hot off the press
>>> and not tested, so if anyone has time to check it, let me know of
>>> bugs
>>> and I'll correct them.  I hope this ends up being useful for someone
>>> besides me...
>>>
>>> http://williambrent.conflations.com/pages/research.html#tabletool
>>>
>>> - dumping a table to a list
>>> - reporting the length of a table
>>> - offsetting (adding a constant to all values)
>>> - scaling (multiplying all values by a scalar)
>>> - curve smoothing
>>> - shifting values forward or back by index
>>> - shuffling values randomly
>>> - sorting values low to high
>>> - reversing
>>> - inverting
>>> - normalizing to a specified range
>>> - normalizing so values sum to 1.0
>>> - copying a source table to a target table
>>> - copying a specified range of a source table to a target table
>>> - lacing alternating values from two tables into one table
>>> - table sum
>>> - table mean
>>> - table arithmetic mean
>>> - table geometric mean
>>> - table integration
>>> - table differentiation
>>> - counting occurrences of a value
>>> - index (or multiple indices) of a particular value
>>>

>>> --
>>> William Brent
>>> www.williambrent.com
>>>
>>> “Great minds flock together”
>>> Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century
>>>
>>> www.conflations.com

>> Programs should be written for people to read, and only
>> incidentally for
>> machines to execute.
>>  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>>

> --
> William Brent
> www.williambrent.com
>
> “Great minds flock together”
> Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century
>
> www.conflations.com

"A cellphone to me is just an opportunity to be irritated wherever you
are." - Linus Torvalds