[PD] no reverb or delwrite~, delread~ working with -nogui onUbuntu 10.04

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon May 17 10:17:40 CEST 2010

It's not that we don't care, maybe it's more that we don't care *as much as you* right now since things are working, but I feel your pain.

Did you check this bug? http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2724318&group_id=55736&atid=478070 it relates to -nogui starting up too fast and trying to connect to the sound device *before* port audio is ready for it to do so ...

Sounds like a similar problem I had last year which cause me to go a bit frantic as I was reinstalling my setup on a new Ubuntu (9.04) before a show. Luckily, the following fixed it for me (although I think you guys already tried this ...?).

[delay 100]

--------------
|;              /
|pd dsp 1\
--------------

Now I am hesitant to upgrade my Ubuntu ...

On May 16, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Ingo Scherzinger wrote:

> Looks like not too many people seem to care too much about this. This bug
> has been around for quite a while. I suppose it's breaking all of the
> reverbs as well since they are working with stacked delays.
> I'm wondering if there is anything around to replace [delwrite~] and
> [delread~] that's currently not broken. Does anybody know of a reverb that
> works with "-nogui"?
> I remember there have been some others like [jonverb~] (?) and an
> abstraction that would replace [freeverb~]. I hope I'll find these. I might
> have even downloaded them(?). However, I somehow doubt that they will work.
>
> Ingo
>
>> hi ingo
>>
>> what i found out now is mentioned in the issue in the bugtracker
>>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2978457&group_id=55736&atid=
> 47
>> 8070
>> no workaround in the moment.
>> its a pity, cause a project of mine is really waiting to go on air
>> us both, all the best for millers fixing that bug soon
>>
>> der.brandt
>>

>> Zitat von "Ingo Scherzinger" <ingo at miamiwave.com>:
>>
>>> Has anybody figured out the problem with [delwrite~] and [delread~] with
> the
>>> -nogui flag?
>>>
>>> I'm not getting it to work. And on top of it both my reverbs (freeverb~
> +
>>> fdn~) are not working either anymore. Everything is fine with the gui
> turned
>>> on.
>>>
>>> I have delayed turning dsp on by 10 seconds already. It doesn't help. I
> had
>>> to make an abstraction also to replace [susloop~] which gave up on me
> also
>>> with -nogui.
>>>
>>> Everything was working fine up until Ubuntu 7.10. With 8.04 and later I
>>> started to have problems so I stayed with 7.10 for the -nogui stuff. Now
>>> need to get it going with the current OS.
>>>
>>> If anybody has found a solution please help me!
>>>
>>> Ingo

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com