[PD] udev & usb midi interfaces

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon May 17 16:46:21 CEST 2010

Hi Frank,

I had tried assigning the devices as described in the
"MultipleUSBAudioDevices" article before but I kept losing my soundcard. Now
I tried it again and gave ALL midi interfaces a vendor id. This finally
works!
Originally I had the plan of using 2 internal midi interfaces and assign
them to index 1 and 2 and leave index 3 open for an external interface to be
plugged in from time to time. This does absolutely not work as any
"undefined" USB midi interface grabs any of the other indexes although I
have specified the maximum number one number higher so that there would be
room to get an unused index number. Very strange! I guess I'll drop the idea
about keeping an empty slot for an external interface.

The weird thing is: now that the midi ports are being sorted out in the
system pd doesn't seem to find them anymore. Even if I put the "-mididev
1,2,3" flag. I'll have to keep investigating about that.

Ingo

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:28:42AM +0200, Daniel Wilcox wrote:
>> Why udev rules then ...? I use the portaudio index of the soundcard to
>> pass to pd with -audiodev on startup (I use -nogui and alsa) and
>> another script which parses aconnect -io to determine the alsa mdii
>> index, then calls aconnect again to connect pd with the midi device.
>>
>> Actually, perhaps you are right as it would be nice to have udev run
>> aconnect whenever my midi device is plugged in.
>
>If your devices are different, you can use the vendor and product ids to
specify the soundcard index ALSA uses: