[PD] realtime chopping of a sound file

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Tue May 18 12:50:03 CEST 2010

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 03:33:38AM +0200, PF wrote:
>
>>> If the file you are playing is too big for a table and you are playing with
>>> readsf~ or so, then you could still register locations. Alternatively just
>>> record chopped sections with writesf~ and name files with numbers counting up
>>>
>> it will be quite large, so readsf~ might be the better way out.
>> thanks, frank.
>>

>>> or so. Creating tables dynamically is a bit of a pain that I would avoid here.
>>>
>> even if it's not perfect for this, i wouldnt mind if someone can point
>> me to some examples of dynamic tables.
>>
> You create them with the "usual" dynamic patching approach: Send an
> "obj"-creation-message to a subpatch-receiver like this:
>

>   [obj 10 20 table tablename(
>   [s pd-$0-subpatch]
>
>   [pd $0-subpatch]
>
> Replace "tablename" with for example "$1-tablename" and feed it with a number
> to create more tables, probably you will also want to change the y-coordinate
> accordingly to something like like 20*<tablenumber>.

Another approach could be to simply append samples in one big table and
save the indexes. (but this depends a lot on how many chopped samples
and how long they are)

I've used a similar approach for a piece where I wanted to trigger
certain samples: in that case the 'chunks' were small files already
existed on disk, but I wouldn't have known how many files I would have
finally, so using a fixed number of tables wouldn't have worked.
I can point you to the piece and share the patches if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Lorenzo.