[PD] Compressor in Pd

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:28:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:

> P.S.: @pdmtl guys
> It's plain wrong to have a wet/dry parameter for dynamic processing fx.
> It just doesn't make sense at all to have the compressor output mixed
> with the input signal (It not only doesn't make sense, it even adds
> strange phasing effects, if the the dynamic processor uses a look-ahead
> delay).
> Can we agree on that? And if not, can we discuss this, so that we
> finally can agree on that?

That sounds like parallel (or New York) compression, which is far from being
wrong.  It allows for an increase in RMS without affecting the source's
transient response, and in many cases this technique is far superior to
series compression.  A fair majority of rock/pop records of the past quarter
century have had parallel compression applied to the drum bus.

In the box, latency has to be compensated for though, so you will have to
delay the source to properly mix with the compressed output.  You can simply
send the 'dry' signal through the same compression with a 1:1 ratio and high
threshold to achieve this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression