[PD] Guitar Pitch tracking in pd

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:35:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Pagano, Patrick
<pat at digitalworlds.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a project proposal that wants to track pitches from a guitar
> [non-midi] and then translate them into tablature that is readable by
> players. I was looking at fiddle and wondering perhaps if processingmight be
> of a help but I am posting her to hopefully get some pd feedback and perhaps
> a few ideas for implementing this project. Has anyone tried this kind of
> pitch tracking in pure data?

Hi Patrick,

I believe that there are quite a few people using pitch tracking for
various things, and I believe that the current best practice for
general pitch tracking is to use sigmund~, as Frank pointed out.

Pitch tracking, especially multiphonic pitch tracking is still an
active research area and not an easy problem to solve, but if you're
restricting yourself to a single instrument you can boost your
accuracy by taking into account the harmonic profile of the
instrument.

Check out the slides at
http://www.ee.columbia.edu/~dpwe/e4896/lectures/E4896-L08.pdf
for some good pitch-tracking info.