[PD] noise range?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed May 19 02:07:31 CEST 2010

Well... Im no synth expert (have couple of digital oldies and an analogue
one) but many synths use noise generators as input in a certain part of the
circuitry. Mainly because white noise generators are really cheap/easy to
build with few components (this is true in the digital domain too).

If they say that it has a range control, they ought to be talking about
either volume (envelope) or frequency limitation - the second makes not much
sense because it conflicts with the concept of white noise itself (random
frequencies all over the spectrum with equal power).

You should try either way (one is try adrs or clip the signal that comes out
of the white noise) the other is filtering the range (some older synths use
a trick to make sounds using the white noise: they filtered it with a sharp
q filter and generate different sounds that would ultimately feed the
circuit and change the resulting sound).

Can you post the schematic? I got curious..

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM, nate <potaxpotax at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
> i'm trying to port an analog synth to pd. one of the parts in the
> rather confusing schematics of the synth requires a white noise
> generator with a "range" control. Not sure i understand it (or that it
> is a crucial bit of the synth for that matter), but if it means the
> amplitude range, using [clip~] on a [noise~] would do the trick,
> right?
> Maybe someone with experience on analog synths can throw some light into
> this?

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes