[PD] no pdsend on pdextended?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 20 09:45:22 CEST 2010

seems like my mail didn't make it...
i'll try again

On 2010-05-19 21:10, Christian Heck wrote:

> i tried this packages...:

[...]
> ....maybe it's really on me.... i'm quite new in linux....this what i do

thanks for the detailed info.

> is:
> sudo dpkg -i Pd-0.42.5-extended-20100519-ubuntu-karmic-i386.deb

this package is fine; you should be able to install both puredata and
pd-extended side-by-side (but read on)

> and if i try to install them (pd and pd-extended) together or pd afterwords
> than....:
>
> sudo apt-get install puredata
> [sudo] password for christian:
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
> Lese Status-Informationen ein... Fertig
> Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
>   gem

that's the main culprit:
"puredata" recommends to install "gem", whereas "pd-extended" conflicts
with "gem" (nowadays for no apparant reason)

> do i have to install extended otherwise? and if yes how?

until hans fixes the conflicts, you could simply do as follows:

% dpkg -i Pd-extended...deb
% aptitude install -R puredata

or if you insist in using apt-get

% apt-get install --no-install-recommends puredata

i usually recommend aptitude;  it is compatible with apt-get in most
situations, but has better conflict-resolving features and a nice
ncurses gui; this is very handy for manual conflict resolving; you would
have seen immediately why pd-extended gets uninstalled...

that's it.

fgmsdr
IOhannes