[PD] <script src='mypatch.pd' type='text/puredata'> ?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sun May 23 19:58:43 CEST 2010

>what's the difference between a "programming language" and a "scripting
language"
The truth is with the newest developments, scripting is of course gaining a
new meaning. By old "meanings" a scripting lang would have usually
characteristics like:
- being interpreted from source code (traditional langs are compiled as you
know)
- being separate components from main application and so forth (but this has
gradually changed nowadays!)

One does not usually call "shell scripting" "shell programming", simply
because its interpreted scritps (like so many other langs), but OF COURSE
when you're scripting your programming... :) It's an old "word/meaning" that
induces some ambiguity.. true.

An interesting description could be borrowed Ousterhout from where he
states:
"they are intended primarily for plugging together components", but then
again... they (scripting langs) have evolved so largely that they have
surpassed that in many ways. But he was saying this in 98[1]... it is funny
to see how it all evolved. There's another usual name for this "glue code"
that some of my oldest teachers used to say in my first years of college,
guess it traces back to this concept that "scripting langs" are just a part
of the whole app. Nowadays you can pretty much do a lot with them... a
lot...

[1] http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/scripting.html

>ECMA is a rather large standards organisation and they do lots of things.
Indeed, but ECMA script is an ISO for defining languages too, I was talking
about that.

>Sun had attempted to get an ECMA JAVA standard done, but they changed their
mind. There's also >an ECMA standard for C# and for the C#-compatible
version of C++, etc.
True true, there's a lot of ecma compliant stuff out there, but still too
esoteric for me because apart from AS and js haven't really learned any of
them...

Sorry to mingle this sub-topic in such as interesting thread (kudos on the
webpd), I'll shut myself for now... :)

best regards,
Pedro
--