[PD] "Scripting languages" ?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sun May 23 22:30:01 CEST 2010

I agree with your view, firstly let me say that my english is a bit awful
(as you can see in the previous response to this thread).

>Now, I suppose you can imagine too a politically-defined concept of "glue
code"...?
No way, that's the issue with "scripting" too. Its just definitions that get
caught up in "trends". There's a perfect portuguese idiomatic expression for
that, that would loosely translate into "mouth-to-motuh definitions" -
whereas a concept gets standardized without any fomal foundations or efforts
but because of heavy community use  - mark that the tone of my response was
not encouraging segmentation core/script/whatever but the opposite, if there
should be a separation it should be clearly defined.

As for pseudo-code, when in first years of college that really striked me.
The definition of it was supposed to strive for a language-free syntax, but
it always looked C to me - so I guess that's true for your argument as
"political bargain".

The article I quote was not showing a correct view but more like "where does
this "trend" comes from"... (and by trend I mean the segmentation/naive
classification of scripting langs vs. others).

>LISP is a traditional language that is interpreted, yet became quite
compiled as an option. It's quite
Of course, I use compiled LISP on a regular basis :)

its nice nice to share some feelings/opinions on this subject, I strongly
feel that it has become a "buzz" word, rather than something people have
strongly defined - as you can see from the two examples [1][2] it is
strongly bounded to the differentiation between compiled and interpreted
which in some cases exist in two languages - thus not making a good enough
point for classifiying something as a script.

>Nowadays I have trouble reading it because it makes me want to rewrite the
article.
:)

>but OF COURSE when you're scripting your programming... :)
This means my english is in fact hideous. I was saying (and thinking): "When
you are scripting you are programming, and vice versa" - so where's the line
separating scripting/programming languages? Is there any need for a line? Do
we gain to have such differentiation? Define them... and so on.

p.s.: thanks for opening the thread, it was hijacking the previous. And keep
them coming I just want to learn.

--
Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt