[PD] microphone cleaner advice

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 12:15:45 CEST 2010

Your hip~ at the end isn't needed if you've already got one at 50hz,
I'd be very cautious of trying to band pass just the fundamental tones of voice too, there's a lot of harmonics in the human voice, not to mention bits of 'noise' signal (like the 's' and 't' sounds) which need treble to be heard as language. I'd look for a compressor in PD to get a little more volume. Normalizing, by it's very nature, can't be done live, but a good compressor is a similar result (reducing the higher peaks then increasing the overall volume, Having said that, any ground sound from your microphone etc, might be increased by this approach, but it would by normalizing samples too.

Have a look to see if you can find a workable noise gate too, these cut a channel when the input drops below a given volume, often used for live vocals, so the gate opens when there's sound into a mic.