[PD] [pdpcap] Puredata network sniffer object

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri May 28 22:39:01 CEST 2010

On May 23, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Jordi Sala wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need some help...sorry..
>
> I've finished the new version of pdpcap, with the Makefile Template
> (it's so good!!). There are no warnings, new functions like data
> visualization, etc...
> I've included de debian folder, I modifified the files to adapt to
> pdpcap, but, how can I build de .deb?
> Today I'm going to try it in a windows machine, but I can't try it
> in a MAC,....

You need to build the .deb in the standard Debian way, search for a
HOWTO.  Basically, you run the command 'debuild' once you have
everything setup.

> And another question, to include pdpcap to pd externals repository,
> I've to be developer? so, if you are developer, could you include it ?

If you want to use the pure-data SVN, you just need to announce
yourself to the pd-dev list.  Search the archives of that list for
examples of other introductions.  I think it would be easier for you
to just setup a project of your own.

.hc

> Thanks a lot for your time!!
>
> Jordi
>

> On 18 May 2010 20:13, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> Also, I included some small changes to the C file to make it easier
> to build on Mac OS X.  I didn't get it built yet though...  but that
> can happen later after things are working well on GNU/Linux.
>
> .hc
>

> On May 18, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Jordi Sala wrote:
>
> ok thanks a lot!
> I'm finishing the object, so in the first version, the info captured
> and sent to the outlets was the most basic information of a network
> packet. I'm going to look your tarball, and I will look the new
> makefile template. Thanks! Is my first object, so for sure there is a
> lot of "rules" and details that I have forgotten...
>
> I tell you something..
>
> Jordi
>
> On 18 May 2010 19:14, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> Sounds like some fun stuff, I think there could be a lot of
> potential with
> this.  I played with it a bit, and since I am neck deep in the new
> Makefile
> template, I threw your code into it.  This gives you lots of stuff
> automatically, like 'make dist' to make a versioned tarball and
> builds on
> other platforms.
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MakefileTemplate
>
> Here's my tarball
>

> .hc
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Jordi Sala wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've done my first patch: pdpcap. It's a network sniffer external
> object for pd. It uses libpcap to capture and analyze network traffic.
>
> download->
> http://musa.poperbu.net/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,35/Itemid,26/
>
> A simple example that shows traffic captured with gem:
> http://vimeo.com/11816669
>
> Screenshot: http://musa.poperbu.net/images/pdpcap/pdpcap_help.png
>
> Any comment or idea will be a help for me! (I'm not a programmer, so I
> suposse the code can
> be much better..)
>
> Jordi
>
> --
> Jordi Sala
> http://musa.poperbu.net

> Information wants to be free.    -Stewart Brand
>

> --
> Jordi Sala
> http://musa.poperbu.net

> Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
> David Zicarelli
>

> --
> Jordi Sala
> http://musa.poperbu.net
> <pdpcap-0.0.2.tar.gz>

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams