[PD] noise~ inlet?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sat May 29 19:47:42 CEST 2010

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2010, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> So with a teeny bit more code, the inlet could potentially be used to
>> initialize to a different starting point, but it would not change the
>> sound, except for example if you were multiplying two [noise~]s.
>
> Every [noise~] is initialised with a seed that is 1319 times the
> previously used seed, mod (1<<32).
>
>     x->x_val = (init *= 1319);

Ooops, I missed that init is declared static in noise_new(), so the same
variable is used by every instance of [noise~].

> Could you please explain what could sound different when multiplying two
> [noise~] together ?

I doubt if it would sound any different. Subtracting two identical noise
signals should result in zero, but since it's very difficult to make two
identical [noise~] streams it probably doesn't matter any more.

Martin